Years Best...2006
Once again, some of my favorites....
Movie

I love stories of tradgedy and redemption...and that's exactly what Babel is. People either loved or hated this movie. I thought it was fantastic, but I definately would not recommend it to everybody. Actually, I would not recommend it to many people. It's very raw, very graphic, and completely heart wrenching. However, the acting is amazing, the music is perfect for the story, and the story is captivating...
"In an instant, the lives of four separate groups of strangers on three different continents collide. Caught up in the rising tide of an accident that escalates beyond anyone's control are a vacationing American couple (Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett), a rebellious deaf Japanese teenager and her father, and a Mexican nanny who, without permission, takes two American children across the border. None of these strangers will ever meet; in spite of the sudden, unlikely connection between them, they will all remain isolated due to their own inability to communicate meaningfully with anyone around them."

Coming in a close second is Little Miss Sunshine. I mean, come on, how could you not like this movie.
Music


It's a tie. Although I don't feel like 2006 was a year of great musical discovery for me, I think I listened to these two albumns the most. I competed in three triathlons this year, and for most of my longer training runs and rides my ipod was packed with the Postal Service. It's funny wow hearing a song can take you back to a certain place and time. When I hear PS, I will think of great times on my bike and on the road. I discovered Martin Sexton while in San Diego. A friend of mine was playing his CD, and now that CD lives in my car. Black Shhep is my favorite MS album.
Book

This book had me laughing out loud on airplanes, and feeling sick to my stomch as I lay in bed. AHWOSG is described perfectly by its title. A true story of a guy living in N. Calif. in the early 90's. I wish I could write like Dave Eggers, I would love for him to write a story of my life in the same style which he writes his in this book. The book is somewhat stream of consciousness writing. Like my movie choice, this one is not for everyone. I've recommended it to people who didn't get past the first chapter. This book was my inspiration for writing my "on Flying" post.

I only read the first half of this book, but since it was such a popular book this year I thought I should comment. It's a true story of a dog owner's life with his dog. One reason I didn't finish is that I know that Marley dies at the end...reading about a dog's death is just not entertainment. I refuse to even think about how short my dog's lives are. The book is okay, but as I was reading I started to think, "everybody who has owned a Labrador puppy could write this book". It was funny to read some of the stories b/c I could relate to them, however, I didn't find it very unique, and to be honest, Marley's got nothing on Scout. "Scout and Me", look for it next fall.
Food
X-Tapa Joe's

Their Chicken Enchilada casarole is amazing. The margaritas are deadly, but so good...after one I can't drive. One thig I love about this place is the service. It's is so good that it's almost weird. My chips, salsa, and Dr. Pepper always seems to be full throughout the meal.
It's in far North Scottsdale on the NE corner Pinnacle Peak/Scottsdale Rd.
Movie

I love stories of tradgedy and redemption...and that's exactly what Babel is. People either loved or hated this movie. I thought it was fantastic, but I definately would not recommend it to everybody. Actually, I would not recommend it to many people. It's very raw, very graphic, and completely heart wrenching. However, the acting is amazing, the music is perfect for the story, and the story is captivating...
"In an instant, the lives of four separate groups of strangers on three different continents collide. Caught up in the rising tide of an accident that escalates beyond anyone's control are a vacationing American couple (Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett), a rebellious deaf Japanese teenager and her father, and a Mexican nanny who, without permission, takes two American children across the border. None of these strangers will ever meet; in spite of the sudden, unlikely connection between them, they will all remain isolated due to their own inability to communicate meaningfully with anyone around them."

Coming in a close second is Little Miss Sunshine. I mean, come on, how could you not like this movie.
Music


It's a tie. Although I don't feel like 2006 was a year of great musical discovery for me, I think I listened to these two albumns the most. I competed in three triathlons this year, and for most of my longer training runs and rides my ipod was packed with the Postal Service. It's funny wow hearing a song can take you back to a certain place and time. When I hear PS, I will think of great times on my bike and on the road. I discovered Martin Sexton while in San Diego. A friend of mine was playing his CD, and now that CD lives in my car. Black Shhep is my favorite MS album.
Book

This book had me laughing out loud on airplanes, and feeling sick to my stomch as I lay in bed. AHWOSG is described perfectly by its title. A true story of a guy living in N. Calif. in the early 90's. I wish I could write like Dave Eggers, I would love for him to write a story of my life in the same style which he writes his in this book. The book is somewhat stream of consciousness writing. Like my movie choice, this one is not for everyone. I've recommended it to people who didn't get past the first chapter. This book was my inspiration for writing my "on Flying" post.

I only read the first half of this book, but since it was such a popular book this year I thought I should comment. It's a true story of a dog owner's life with his dog. One reason I didn't finish is that I know that Marley dies at the end...reading about a dog's death is just not entertainment. I refuse to even think about how short my dog's lives are. The book is okay, but as I was reading I started to think, "everybody who has owned a Labrador puppy could write this book". It was funny to read some of the stories b/c I could relate to them, however, I didn't find it very unique, and to be honest, Marley's got nothing on Scout. "Scout and Me", look for it next fall.
Food
X-Tapa Joe's

Their Chicken Enchilada casarole is amazing. The margaritas are deadly, but so good...after one I can't drive. One thig I love about this place is the service. It's is so good that it's almost weird. My chips, salsa, and Dr. Pepper always seems to be full throughout the meal.
It's in far North Scottsdale on the NE corner Pinnacle Peak/Scottsdale Rd.


3 Comments:
Yo BranDONE, I can't believe you like my man Martin Sexton. I love the guy and almost no-one I've shared his music with likes it. He's amazing. I saw him live in Cinci and it almost made me never want to play guitar or sing again ... it was so good. Anyways, glad you like him. Let's talk about sex...ton.
you mean X-tapa Joe's beat out Abuelo's for the Mexican restaurant with the best customer service?? ;-) I'll never forget the story you told at cGroup about getting salsa spilled all over you that one time. It still makes me laugh when I think of it! Sorry.
Martin!!!! Is he ever going to come play in San Diego again? It's been 2 years now I think. Please let us know if you hear of a tour so we don't miss it. He's so good live it kind of makes you mad watching him---like it's just completely absurd that someone could be that talented.
-Mellie Gray
Post a Comment
<< Home