145 Days to Ironman

Well, it has begun. I have officially started training for the biggest endurance event of my life. On April 13, 2008, I will attempt to swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, then run a 26.2 mile marathon, all in under 17 hours to complete Ironman Arizona. To do this I've hired a coach, got a new bike, got some sweet running shoes, and a new gym.
At this point my coach has me putting in a lot of base miles in all three disciplines, with a little strength training mixed in to help prevent fatigue down the road. Its a 6 day/week training program, taking Monday's off. Saturday mornings are my long runs, Sunday mornings my long rides. I am excited for the challenge.
More than anything, I fear the mental fatigue of training. Its going to take a lot of time. Last Friday night I was swimming laps at Lifetime. About half way into my second hour I began to question myself. What the hell am I doing spending my Friday nights swimming lap after lap, completely numbing myself to the world around me. What are my friends doing now? Where is my family? Its easy to forget about the finish line. Sunday morning my alarm went off while it was still dark and cold outside. Slipping into my bike gear I wonder how nice it would feel to stay wrapped in my warm blankets. Even as I write this, I have an 8 mile run before I crawl into bed tonight.
There's just something about it though. Its like therapy. I can be completely stressed out, angry, sad, you name, but after a long ride it all just kinda goes away. There's nothing like a long swim to figure problems out at work. Some of my best business descisions have come while on my bike. I'll let you know how it goes...
Current Playlist:
Thunderstruck_AC/DC
Two Step_Dave Matthews Band
Apologize_One Republic
Stronger_Kanye West
Mr Brightside_The Killers
Seven Nation Army_The White Stripes
Gotta Get Through This_Daniel Bettingfield
Vertigo_U2
The District Sleeps Alone Tonight_The Postal Service
Little of Your Time_Maroon 5
Hey Ya_Outkast
Bleed It Out_Linkin Park
Lose Yourself_Eminem
Such Great Heights_The Postal Service
The Way I Are_Timbaland
I Write Sins Not Tragedies_Panic! At the Disco


1 Comments:
Love your playlist - have several of those songs on my workout playlist, as well! Good chatting with you the other day - will continue to plan toward coming out there for the big day this spring!
Post a Comment
<< Home