Thursday, January 03, 2008

5 Years



I spent a lot of time in my car today. The radio sucked and my CD collection is tired. As I was driving I realized that yesterday was my 5 year anniversary of living in Arizona. I entertained myself thinking about how I got to where I am in life today. The good, the bad, the embarrassing, the regrets. At some points I was laughing out loud, there was some cringing, and I even brought myself to tears. I was thinking about life changing decisions I have made through the years, and as recent as yesterday. It was interesting to think about significant points and decisions in my life that put me where I am right now. Where would I be if I turned left instead of right..took the blue pill instead of the red?

One day last January I was at work, sitting at my desk and my friend Jeff popped up on Google Talk...the following conversation ensued:



3:43 PM Jeffrey: Hey Man, I got a quote for you:

“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.” – Goethe

for considering steps toward your new biz

3:46 PM me: wow, did someone tell you I am close to quitting

3:47 PM Jeffrey: yeah, Mandy

Me: man, that's really cool. I am going to print that out. I am very very close
had a great meeting today with my business partner

Jeffrey: You're thinkin about putting in your notice?

that's good

3:48 PM what's next?

me: yeah, ...possibly Monday

working on Marketing materials...brochure and sales presentation

3:49 PM Jeffrey: I could help you out with graphic design if you want

me: I would love for you to take a look at our logo

Jeffrey: I'll just track my hours, and you could pay me if the business is successful

3:50 PM me: ok, that would be cool

Jeffrey: of course, I bill at $10K an hour, totally worth it though

me: thats easy, I would have paid 15K
easy

Jeffrey: dang!

3:51 PM me: I gotta run..let's talk soon

Jeffrey: alright, ttyl

me: gotta get to the mailbox before 4

ttyl...thanks for the quote...I've been needing that kind of encouragement this week

Jeffrey: yeah, np

I printed out that quote, taped it to my computer, read it everyday, and, resigned from that miserable job a week later. That instant message conversation changed the course of my life. There is power and magic in boldness, in risks. I was hesitant to fully commit to what I wanted...and it was killing me. Since then, I was recruited for a great job, met some wonderful people, and took more risks that I never would have had the opportunity to take.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home