Thursday, December 15, 2005

Happy Holidays, from Brandon


Seasons greetings, or is it Happy Holidays, maybe Merry Christmas. I'm not sure what to say anymore. When "Merry Christmas" became a bad word a few years ago it really bothered me. I would get really worked up about it and have long intelligent sounding conversations with friends and coworkers about this. The funny this is, those who are trying to stop me from saying Merry Christmas because it is offensive to them, have actually offended me by not letting me say it. Both parties are offended either way. It's a stupid argument, I'm done with it, and really don't care how you greet me when I enter your store. Saturday Night Live did a great skit about Wal-Mart employees not being able to greet with "Merry Christmas" anymore. The greeters got around this new rule by saying, "Happy Holidays, from Jesus".

I love this time of year. I enjoy pretty much everything about it. It is the one time of year that my whole family gathers around a table. That hour really is the best hour of my whole year.

My shopping hasn't happened yet. Things are just so busy this time of year. I've decieded Saturday morning I am just going to get er done. I am headed to Scottsdale Fashion Square to face the crowds, music, bargains, etc, and I'm not leaving until I've got a gift for everyone on my list.

I hate being busy. I love free time. But it's funny, everytime I have free time all I do is find ways to fill it. It usually involves some kind of project around the house, Home Depot, and 50 dollars. This time of year is great, but busy. Sometimes during the holidays I long for a hot summer day when my schedule is empty, friends are in town, and everyone seems to have time to hang out. Those days will be back before we know it, so I guess I will just try to enjoy where I'm at right now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

Meet me for lunch on Saturday. I'm doing the shopping thing too! I'll go to SFS for the shiz.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Audrey said...

I feel the same way about using up free time - always finding some way to fill it. Except mine usually involves a friend, a meal, and eight dollars.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 things:
1) hi.
2) here's what i struggle with more than blogging...commenting on other people's blogs. don't you think that's worse? i mean, there you are...saying, "hi. i am a creeper. i am nosing around checking out people's blogs." way more insecure about leaving this comment than any entry i've ever written for myself. wonder why? insecure about caring? or being curious? or bored? hmmm...pride. like you said.
3) that's funny that you said all of that about "merry christmas," because the other day i wrote something about the same thing. coming from a diff. viewpoint. anyways...merry jesus holidays.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I heard that Christians celebrating Jesus' birth at the end of December is somewhat random and came about because there used to be a pagan holiday celebrated then, so we sort of claimed it as our own and made it religious. So I think it's funny when we say, "don't forget the reason for the season" because if you go to the root of the commercialized holiday season, you find Christmas, a celebration of the birth of Christ. But, if you go to the root of that, you find something much more secular. So, there you go, Happy Frickin Holidays.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, so, yeah! I discovered your blog and I feel, the way random people usually do, that I'm a snooper and shouldn't be saying anything here...
Oops.

Anyway, it's been a while, so I thought I'd say hi sometime.

- C

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home